Books My Mother Read

I don't remember my mother reading to me. I know she did, but I can't remember the experience. Maybe this is because I was an early reader who chose to "do it myself" rather than wait for someone else to read to me. Maybe it's because by the time I was big enough for "big kid" stories, as a family we listened to stories on tape (yes, back before CDs but after 8-tracks) during long drives to visit relatives.

I'm not sure why I can't remember hearing my mother's voice read aloud. Once, I recall my father reading the Christmas Story from the second chapter of Luke in the Bible, but that's all I can remember of his read-aloud voice either.

I don't feel sorry for myself about my lack of reading memories. My parents are wonderful people who stocked our house full of shelves of books to feed my reading appetite. Still, I love reading so much, it is such a part of my personhood, I want to continue to share my love of reading with my daughter as she grows. I hope she will develop many memories of our shared reading whether it includes reading aloud or just sitting side-by-side, each absorbed in our own book-worlds.

One tradition I started a few years ago and I hope will continue for many more Mother's Days to come is to share a favorite story with a younger reader. This Mother's Day, I will begin re-reading Anne of Green Gables. Although we didn't read the books together, my mother and I loved absorbing ourselves in the original mini-series. On Mother's Day, or anytime the ironing pile grew to an astounding size, Mom and I would pop in the VHS version (yes, back before DVDs but after those awful disks) and watch Anne, Marilla and Matthew, Diana and Gilbert, and the sharp-tongued Rachel Lynde.

This Mother's Day, I will read Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic story aloud while my toddler daughter drifts off to sleep. It's tradition after all, and, I hope, something she will one day remember.

Comments

Popular Posts